Friday, September 24, 2010

Racing, racing and more racing....

This week and into the weekend is the 5th Annual 600 Sprint Car Nationals at I-30 Speedway. I have been planing and looking forward to this all year. My boyfriend of 4 and half years races sprint cars and i come mainly to watch him. But i really do enjoy a full week of racing nothing but sprint cars, nothing else. It's such a good time. Dirt, methanol, loud motors, camping out at the track, racing golf-carts on the track when the races are over, nothing else like it. Tomorrow is the last day of all the racing action, and rumor has it that the big sprints will make an appearance. I am so excited and i really hope they do.
I bet you are wondering just exactly what is a sprint car? Well, it is a winged car with a motorcycle 600 cc engine in it. Can run up to 1500 horsepower with speeds toping over a hundred down the straight away. The cars race on oval quater mile dirt tracks. I will upload a picture to show you guys just how awesome they are.
I happen to do a little part time work for an organization called SOW6 (Southern Outlaw Winged 600's). They race all over Louisiana, Arkansas and Texas. I help them with the line-ups, telling the racers when they go out on the track, collect money for their draw fees, and a couple other paperwork stuff. I love being involved in everything i can associated with the organization. For years, i used to sell the SOW6 t-shirts. But anyway, that's old news now.
Back to the nationals, Brandon, my boyfriend, raced today and almost won his heat race. A heat race is a re race where you determine where you start in the feature race. kind of like process of elemination to make it to the top. He was in the lead for most of the laps and at the very end he gets passed by Travis Senter, the leading champion of the nationals. For Brandon to even be keeping up with a previous champion says alot. His car was hooked up and moving. We ended up not making the main feature for the night, but it's all good. There is always tomorrow. Tomorrow is a new day and a new beginning in the race world.
Goodbye for now, i will keep everyone posted on Brandon's progress to the top.
Goodluck GO #88!!
JSchmidtke <3

2 comments:

  1. I've never got into race track racing, but it seems fun. I have been around drag races on streets and horse racing. When I was younger we went to greyhounds races up north alot. I hope your friend does well his next race.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer the horses and the hounds, too. I haven't gotten into car racing.

    I guess I lose my "southern" status for that!

    K. Smith
    Eng. 226

    ReplyDelete